Archives

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Windows 8 Rumored Release Date? Fall of 2012

windows-7-logo.jpg

 

I've been a Mac guy for about 5-6 years now.  One of the biggest reasons I was pushed away from Windows?  Plain & simple it was reliability.  I just got tired of crashes & blue screens of death (BOD).

However, this December I needed a new computer at my desk in the office.  Since we're an Eaglesoft office, I needed a new machine that ran Windows, and since I do 3D patient imaging with my Gendex GX CB-500HD I needed a machine that was blazing fast and had tons of memory so that I could quickly and efficiently review the scans we take.  So I called up my good friends at Goetze Dental and had their IT department put together a dream Windows machine.

The computer is running Windows 7 64 bit and has 8GB of RAM.  What I had gotten used to in the old Windows world had been pretty much eliminated in Windows 7.  In the 6 months I've had the new box, I've had ONE severe crash that resulted in a reboot.   Now I'm still not as big a fan of Windows as I am of Mac, but Windows 7 is a really nice operating system.  I certainly can't tell people to stay away from it because of usability issues.  It is fast, stable, and easy to use.

Now comes word that the next generation of Windows will be available in about 15 months.  Windows 8 promises to be a beauty to behold.  It will run on tablets, phones, desktops, and notebooks making it an identical experience (more or less) no matter what device you happen to be using.  According to Dan'l Lewin of Microsoft, “I think tablets are big phones, more or less and I think they will want, over time, some of the capabilities that PC architectures have.”  At this point I think his logic makes perfect sense.

So here's  hoping that Windows 8 is as bit a plus as Windows 7.  Microsoft really needed an OS that worked well and they created it.  I'm pretty confident that 8 will be a similar success.

No comments:

Post a Comment