Archives

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thanks to the Indiana Dental Association!!!

IDA Logo.png
A big "Thank You" goes out to the Indiana Dental Association and all of you who made it to my course on Friday morning! This was a really great trip for me. I spoke to some folks there who said the meeting is normally held in Indianapolis, but due to some construction & other problems there it was decided that the 2011 meeting would be held in the southern part of the state in French Lick. Now for those of you who aren't sports fans, French Lick is the childhood home of Larry Bird... one of the greatest basketball players of all time. However, it's also the home to a resort that I had never heard of... and you probably have never heard of it either. Now, I'm going to get to the resort in a minute, but I'd have never gotten there without the support of the Indiana Dental Association.
The meeting was fun with an attendance of over 1400 dentists as well as dental staff, vendors, etc. I did a 3 hour presentation on Day to Day Technology to Improve Your Practice and Social Media Update. This is one of my favorite topics since it gives me a chance to to truly to help offices on a "day to day" basis with lots of tips & tricks while Social Media is near & dear to my heart. I mean I've been blogging since 2007 (wow, has it really been that long?) and I've been tweeting since Twitter was about 4 months old. In fact this year I was honored by being selected as one of the Top 10 Dentists in Social Media. So needless to say, doing the lecture was a blast for me and I really enjoyed interacting with the folks who attended. I also had a really fun hour of Q&A on the exhibit floor where people could ask me questions about any tech topic that interested them. I really enjoyed the format and we got a chance to talk about oral cancer detection, digital radiography, Facebook fan pages, the Sybron M-4 Safety Handpiece for endo, and why anyone would tweet a photo of themselves in their underwear... especially if they were in the House of Representatives...
After the session was over, I even got a chance to have lunch with my good friend Lois Banta who was also giving a course at the meeting.
The meeting was held at the French Lick Springs Hotel but the meeting also arranged for some of us to stay next door at the West Baden Springs Hotel... and what a treat that was! The West Baden Springs Hotel was built in 1902 and has a great "old world flavor", but a verbal description really won't do it justice. Instead, I'll let you take a look at a photo below which will be followed by a video of the place. I'm confident you'll be as amazed as I was.
So, a special thanks to the IDA for the invitation. I had a wonderful time. Thanks too, to all the people who attended my morning course and hung out with me during the exhibit hall Q&A session. Oh, and because it was a close airport, I flew in and out of Louisville, KY. The airport has a Louisville Slugger store and I was able to snag a cool jersey with the Louisville Slugger logo on it before hopping on the flight home. What a great trip!
West Baden Lobby.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment