Archives

Thursday, June 23, 2011

REVIEW >> Maggie Pro 3-inch LCD Magnifier


I suppose that this next product is targeted at the elderly, or anyone else whose sight is depleting.

The Maggie is a handheld electronic magnifier that can magnify print or digital content up to 4x, 6x, 8x, and 11x. It is small enough to fit in a pocket with a 3-inch LCD screen, and there is a brightness control for varying lighting conditions for indoors and out.

Maggie is powered by a lithium-ion battery which can be charged via USB or wall-socket charger for about 3.5 hours of use.

Here’s the good news: I got to try out the Maggie-Pro 3, and I found that it worked well to magnify whatever print that I put in front of it. It was simple to use, and I would imagine that your grandparents wouldn’t have a problem with it if they remembered to charge it.

Okay, now here is the bad news. After looking at the functions of the Maggie, I couldn’t help but wonder if “there’s an App for that”. I checked the Android Market, and I found IDEAL Magnifier for Free, and it pretty much did the same thing.

That’s bad because the Maggie-Pro 3-inch LCD Magnifier costs about $215.00 on the X-treme Geek site. Yes, that is pretty up there, but I will have to say that Maggie is much clearer than an App. If you are truly vision-impaired, I would highly suggest trying both of them out and “seeing” what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment