Archives

Saturday, June 18, 2011

In Mobile Market Android & Apple Continue to Move Ahead

comscore-mobile-phone-stats-april.png
I was browsing the Cnet website and came across the graphic above.  The Smartphone wars have  had an interesting shakedown and, at least for the last 6 months or so, it's been breaking down into a 2 OS race.  Apple and Google have begun to really take over the market and continue to show growth... mainly at the expense of other operating systems.  A few months ago, I wrote about how Android had moved into the number one position and now Android & Apple seem to be distancing themselves.
Now this isn't a raging endorsement of either platform.  Innovation routinely means that someone can make a tremendous surge or a brand new thought process can come along and totally change the status quo.  However, what it does mean is that for the time being it's a Google & Apple kind of world.
I personally find it interesting that Apple at one time was number one, but through their policy of limited hardware (like their computers) they've now been overtaken by Google who allows their OS to be run on many different hardware platforms (like Microsoft did with Windows).  Now granted, Apple may be fine with this since they are obviously doing well in this sector, but it does remind me of the early days of the PC.
As I've said before, I'm a Mac guy and have been for about 6 years now.  I'm a big fan of Apple products and own quite a few of them.  However, due to their limited distribution of the iPhone, they forced me to buy a Samsung phone running the Android OS.  I mean, I'm the Apple target market, but because they did not have a deal in place with Sprint, I bought the Epic 4G instead of the iPhone.  i'm loyal to those who are loyal to me and I have quite a few Sprint employees in my practice.
The Smartphone market continues to expand.  Heck, The History Channel is currently running a show on the top tech devices of all time and it has the Smartphone as #!.  Google, starting late in the game, has done a tremendous job of catching Apple.  I'm excited to see what the next 6 months bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment