Archives

Monday, April 26, 2010

Sony to Discontinue Floppy Disk Sales

Well, here's one of those items that makes you think 'There is no way that I can be that old." It seems that the venerable floppy disk... he of the 1.44mb capacity... is going the way of the dial telephone, VHS, and CRT monitor.

Somehow, those things being discontinued didn't bother me the way losing the floppy does. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't used one in years. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, most of the machines I own don't even have a floppy drive, but still...

I can remember my first true digital camera. My Sony FD-91. It could take photos at 1024x768 resolution and recorded the images on a floppy disk. At that time it was such a huge deal that my life was littered with floppies as I took picture after picture. Sometimes you could even get almost 20 pictures on one disk!

Life moves on and the wheels of tech keep turning. To that end, Sony will sell its last floppies in March of 2011. If you happen to have a need for them, stock up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment