Archives

Friday, April 9, 2010

It's a Good Thing Macs Never have Problems...

I've been a Mac guy for about 3 years now. One of the things that lured me to make the switch was the idea that the computers were more stable and easier to use. Overall that has been true. Even though I grew up on Windows and was much more versed in the inner workings of PC's, I'm happy with the decision to move to a Mac.

However, one of the things I've noticed over the years is a tendency for some users, especially those long term users, to become what I've come to call "Mac Snobs". If you're a PC user, you probably know one... or a few. These are the people who don't need any prompting to tell you how much better Macs are, how superior the OS is, how they never get viruses, etc. Honestly, for the most part that's true, but there are the occasional problems despite what the snobs say.

Here's a great example: Today I updated my MacBook Pro. I knew there was an OS update that had been released a while back, but I was in no hurry to install it. Today when I started iTunes, it informed me there was an update available and I chose to install it. I thought I was installing just an iTunes update, but then I was given the choice to also install the OS update as well. I figured, what the heck, I hadn't heard about any terrible problems, so I said "yes".

The install actually worked with one glaring exception. I suddenly have no sound from the speakers that are built into the laptop. The computer no longer knows they exist. So... now whenever I want to use the system for sound, I'm having to plug external speakers into it. Redundant? You can say that again. Once I discovered the problem, I began searching the Net for a fix. What I discovered was that there are lots of people that no longer have sound. Apple is aware of the problem and will fix it with another update sometime in the future.

Is this a critical flaw? No. It's really only an annoyance. However, it *is* a problem and I didn't do anything to cause it other than to agree to install an OS update from the gang in Cupertino. So don't let the snobs tell you there are never problems. If they do, send them over to my place. Maybe they can get my speakers working again.

No comments:

Post a Comment