Archives

Monday, May 24, 2010

Steve Booker, Duffy co-writer and producer, goes out of the box with SSL Matrix

At a time when many producers are choosing to mix completely inside the box, Steve Booker has done just the opposite. The award-winning songwriter and producer recently invested in a Solid State Logic Matrix mixing console and 16 channels of X-Rack dynamics and EQ for his London-based studio.


In a career that’s spanned several decades, Steve has been responsible for penning and producing tracks for a wealth of a-list musical talent, including the likes of Noisettes, Alexander Burke, Westlife and Sugababes. But it was with Duffy’s Mercy that he’s notched up his greatest success – even scooping an Ivor Novello award for Most Performed Work.

“I worked purely in the box until a couple of years ago… and I had decided that I simply wasn’t coming out of the box for anybody! And the technology was coming my way, there was new stuff coming out all the time. But despite that I was still looking for something. A controller, really… I was just looking for a great controller.”

“And that’s when I decided to try out SSL’s Matrix. Of course, when we set it up I realised that just using it as a controller was barely scratching the surface. Matrix could help me bring some other stuff in to play, which is when I decided to add 16 channels of dynamics and EQ to the set up with SSL’s modular X-Rack.”

“So now I’m in love with the whole thing. Sure, I just wanted the buttons and the flashing lights to start with, but I think probably within days I’d moved on to using everything it does. Now everything goes through it. It’s my perfect little set up.”

Read the full story here:
http://www.soundtech.co.uk/ssl/news/steve-booker-matrix-x-rack


No comments:

Post a Comment