Archives

Monday, October 18, 2010

3D TV's are Not Catching On

3D TV.jpg

In the last year, have you seen the commercials on TV for 3D televisions?  Me too.  Have you purchased one?  Me neither.

It turns out that very few of the expensive devices have been sold.  It seems that only 3.2 million 3D TVs will be shipped worldwide this year and the number of those sets that will be in the continent of North America is expected to be 1.6 million.

Speculation as to why they haven't caught on is rampant.  Ideas range from a lack of content, to nausea for some viewers, to eyestrain.  Manufacturers were hoping that with the success of 3D movies seen at major cinema complexes, consumers would be ready for these in their homes.

How about this for a reason?  I don't want to have to wear the stupid glasses every time I watch TV.  I can't even find the remote about half the time so why would I want to add to the frustration.  Do these manufacturers have kids?  Have they ever seen the havoc that a toddler can wreak on a highly organized home?  Oh, and they want me to pay more for these sets as well.

Seriously though, I think that with the idea of the home theater in full swing, lots of individuals have probably spent a good sum of money on a great television already and just can't justify another expenditure.  When you bring the economy into the equation, it makes even more sense to me.  Plus, while I think it's cool to see a movie in 3D at the local movie house, I don't really want that in my home... at least at this point.

Further, I've had a chance to play with some pretty cool 3D technology that doesn't require glasses!  I've had some alpha prototypes in my office this year and the technology is definitely promising.

When it comes to TV that forces me to wear glasses?  That's a solution looking for a problem, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment