Archives

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Seeing Things Up Close & Personal with Zeiss

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a magnification junkie. No matter how well I see, I've got to try to see better.

It all started many years ago when a good friend of mine convinced me to try using 2.6 mag while I treated patients. I'd always had excellent vision and really had a hard time justifying learning to use them. I finally settled on a pair by Orascoptic and I've been a dedicated Orascoptic fan ever since.

For the last several years, I've worked in my trusty Orascoptic 4.8 TTL surgical telescopes. I've become addicted to them and literally don't see a patient without them. They are one of my very favorite technological investments.

Now, I've entered the next phase. I've begun using a Zeiss operating microscope and I've got to tell you, it's flat out amazing. Today I did my first endo case using it and you just can't believe what you can see.

Like all new procedures, it will take me a while to get my speed up while using the scope, but I don't think the learning curve will be that steep being as I've been working under a fairly high mag for years.

Overall the beginning experience has been a good one. I'm expecting my photo adapter to come in this week so that I can take pictures straight through the scope... that should be fun.

I've also figured out how to run the scope's S-video out through the capture card in the computer. That means that I can show the scope live on the patient monitor. For all those patients who have wanted to see what I'm seeing live, this could be the answer.

I'll be writing more about my experiences as I progress through the learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment