Archives

Monday, August 16, 2010

Palm Pre webOS 1.4.5.1 Downloaded & Installed

 

Palm Pre.jpg
Things have been a little crazy around here lately, but I finally got around to updating my Palm Pre to webOS 1.4.5.1  Interestingly enough, I downloaded it in the Baltimore airport (BWI) and then did the install on the flight back to KC.  This thing is huge, 8mb, which takes a while to download if your device hasn't done it in the background... which mine hadn't.
The install went well, but I've learned my lesson with phones and don't really push them with all kinds of stuff like I used to.  If you're using a lot of add-ons or have done things like over-clocking, etc you may be in for some difficulties.  I'd definitely explore the potential for problems first.
The update provides the following fixes:
  • Web podcasts download correctly
  • Correct entry of text on Web
  • Sprint branded default email signature corrected
  • Power use and battery optimization
  • Send video via multimedia messaging from Video application
  • Video trim feature now works to send in a message
  • SprintTV upgrade to V 3.5.4 and enhanced parental controls

After the install, things seem fine and apps actually seem to be opening faster, although that's just my personal perception.  I've got to admit that if that IS the case, it will be a nice change.

I was especially happy to see the promised improvement in power usage.  This thing eats the battery which is a major pain.

I'm hoping that now with Palm being owned by HP we'll see some improvements.  I got the Palm Pre in June 2009 with high hopes, but have really become disenchanted since about January or so.  My problems/complaints include:

  • Terrible battery life.  The battery is usually warning me of low power levels at about bedtime every day.  I've taken to charging it at my desk while in the office just to avoid the warnings.  That also forced me to have to buy a second battery.  Now granted an interchangeable battery is nice, but for a top of the line phone, power usage should be much better than this.  Oh, I should mention that I'm not using the thing much during the day and still have these problems.
  • SLOW processing.  I could take a nap on some occasions while I wait for things to open or close.
  • Lousy memory management.  I get errors for "too many cards" when only one... or occasionally NONE are open.  What's up with that?
  • Not the greatest reception.  iPhone 4 owners, I feel your pain.

Here's hoping that HP gets things moving in the right direction.  I may just have an HTC Evo in my future, but that thing has about the same battery life as the Pre.  Nice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment